Archaeological Research Laboratory
The Archaeological Research Laboratory (ARL) is a consulting, cultural resource assessment, and research unit dedicated to the conduct of high quality and timely work for government agencies and private entities, while providing hands-on learning experiences and opportunities for students, educators, and the interested public.
The University of Tennessee has a long history of archaeological research in the Tennessee Valley, beginning before construction of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) reservoirs. Over the years the large projects allowed UT archaeologists to develop basic interpretations of past Native American and early Euro-American lifeways in the region. In addition, the TVA/UT archaeology program led to the establishment of the Department of Anthropology in the 1940s and the Frank H. McClung Museum in 1960. The extensive archaeological collections resulting from the seven decades of field investigations by UT archaeologists are curated by the Museum and the Department and continue to be an invaluable resource for professional and student research, and for public programs and exhibits.
Organized in 2002, the Archaeological Research Laboratory (ARL) continues the tradition by conducting field and laboratory projects throughout the Mid South and beyond for public and private entities. The ARL focuses on providing expert specialized services, while maintaining a deep commitment to the training and education of students and the public in applied archaeological techniques.
- Current Project Information
5723 Middlebrook Pike
Phone: 865-974-6525 or 1916